About Me . . .

Hello, my name is Haley Mills. I am an aspiring physical education teacher in my Junior year at South Alabama. I hope to graduate in May of 2011. I am looking forward to working in the field of physical education as I enjoyed physical activity and sports during school and I would like to help my future students feel the same way. I have found in my courses that education is a very involved career choice. At South, I have taken courses that will help with classroom management skills as well as learning about my content area.

Organization, management and planning as a teacher

I know that a good teacher is one that organizes daily lessons, manages student behavior and creates appropriate lesson plans for the classroom.

Good organizational skills is a must have for PE teachers. Keeping up with equipment, organizing a classroom setting that could possibly include a a gym or workout room and maintaining inventory is just a short list of the things I will need to do. I know that my personal organizational skills will help jumpstart me to be an organized teacher.

I believe that managing student behavior in the physical education classroom will be so important. From what I remember and from what I hear other teachers referring to, an organized teacher with good lesson plans is less likely to have behavior issues. I know that the more experienced you are with managing students, the better you will become. I hope that what I can do is use whatever I have learned to be proactive in this area. Be sure to meet whatever problems I have in the classroom before they get too far out of hand.

Lesson planning is a critical part of teaching that sets the pace of the classroom. A PE teacher that chooses from a variety of teaching styles, offers varied and active activities and allows room for change when necessary will be one that is most successful. Keeping in mind that different age groups and abilities need different lesson plans makes a vareity of teaching styles most important. Considering factors such as skill development, activity appropriateness, class size and equipment and facilities will drive the lesson.